S.Korea declares zero tolerance for self-isolation violators

8

Seoul, March 26 | South Korea on Thursday declared a no-tolerance stance toward those who violate self-isolation rules due to the coronavirus pandemic, warning that violators will face legal punishment or deportation.

The government issued the strong warning as some arrivals from Europe and the US have not abided by the two-week self-isolation guidelines, sparking concerns about the spread of COVID-19, reports the Yonhap News Agency.

The Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters announced that any foreigner leaving his or her self-isolation venue without permission will be expelled from the country.

Local violators will not receive a leave subsidy totaling 1.23 million won (U$1,000) in the case of a four-member household.

Police will maintain their highest alert status and be ready to make an emergency response to any breach of the rules, the agency said, noting violators could be fined up to 10 million won or imprisoned for up to a year under the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act.

The government has also decided to deny entry to inbound travellers at the airport who are ordered to self-isolate but fail to install the self-quarantine safety protection app intended to keep track of their locations in the country.

The installation rate of the self-quarantine app installation among those asked to self-isolate here for 14 days reached 60.9 per cent on Wednesday evening, and 11 people were reported to have left self-isolation without authorization from March 13-24, the agency said.

The government will also encourage ordinary citizens to report any self-isolation violations to the local authorities, said the Yonhap News Agency report.

South Korea has required all arrivals from Europe and the US.to undergo stricter quarantine procedures and to remain in 14-day self-isolation due to spikes in imported cases.

The total number of infections from abroad jumped by 34 to 101 on Tuesday, the biggest single-day rise so far. The country has reported a total caseload of 9,137 since the first case on January 20.

There has been a total of 131 deaths.

Source: IANS

Sponsors Posts

Covid-19 Lockdown : Greenwood High International School comes forward to help the needy

Covid-19 Lockdown : Greenwood High International School comes forward to help the needy

Bangalore, April 02, 2020 : The nationwide lockdown to combat Coronavirus outbreak in the country has led to severe difficulties for the poor and homeless people. In an effort to help the needy, Greenwood High International School, has come forward to do their bit to the cause. The school have undertaken the initiative to prepare food for 300 underprivileged families every day and distribute  in and around Sarjapur area with the help of Sarjapur police station. This would be a continuous support from the school authority towards the needy people until the lockdown ends. While distributing the food, the school authority also followed the social distancing norms and ensured that necessary precautionary measures like masks and gloves were used in the entire process to provide clean and hygienic food to the people.

Speaking on this initiative, Ms. Niru Agarwal, Trustee, Greenwood High said: “As much as we believe in inculcating the values of benevolence and philanthropy among our students, we practise these ourselves too. Greenwood High has always been compassionate to help those in need and we continue to do so. We are mindful of contributing to the society in multiple ways and are proud to leverage our sources towards such an important cause. Several NGOs, individuals and businesses are pitching in to help the citizens and government through various initiatives with the hope that humanity would survive these dreadful times of coronavirus onslaught. We believe that only by active collaboration between all the members of the society, we will be able to overcome the impact of this pandemic.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here